Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rhody Universe: Miss Rhode Island-isms

Kramer: If the U.S. was on the brink of a nuclear war and the only way the conflict could be averted was if you agreed to sleep with the enemy’s leader, what would you do?
Miss Rhode Island: Kramer, are these questions really that important?
Kramer: Yes!! If you stumble, if you hesitate, you can kiss the crown goodbye. Now if I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times, poise counts! Swimsuit, evening wear, talent, POISE!

- From “Seinfeld,” episode 87, “The Chaperone,” Sept. 12, 1994

Greta Van Susteren, Fox News Host: When you competed did the pageant people know that those photos were out there of you?
Miss Rhode Island (Alysha Castonguay): Yes. I contacted the Miss Rhode Island staff, and I submitted the photos because they were published, and I knew that somebody could get their hands on them. And to eliminate a catastrophe from happening. I sent them to the Miss Rhode Island staff, and they sent them to Miss Universe, and that left me with three weeks to prepare for Miss Rhode Island USA. I was waiting on a response from the Miss Universe organization on whether or not they cleared the pictures, and they did.

- Fox News, “On the Record” with Greta Van Susteren, May 11, 2009

Jerry: I’m going out with one of the Miss America contestants. You want to go?
Kramer: What state?
Jerry: Rhode Island.
Kramer: They’re never in contention.

- “Seinfeld”

Van Susteren: What do you do now? What is the job of Miss Rhode Island now that the Miss USA Pageant’s over? What’s your obligation.
Miss Rhode Island: We have appearances in Rhode Island. My state isn’t really as big as many of the other states. But I travel around Rhode Island doing different things, different events. There are a lot of parades coming up for Memorial Day. And I just did a charity event the other day. There’s a lot of different things that come up. You just make appearances, anything.

- “On the Record”

Jerry (while watching Miss Rhode Island sing): It’s like watching an animal get tortured.

- “Seinfeld”

Van Susteren: Alysha, thank you very much, and you do a great job representing Rhode Island, I suspect. I think you probably do a really good job. Thank you.
Miss Rhode Island: Thank you for having me. I appreciate it.

- “On the Record”


This week’s question: What question would you like to ask Miss Rhode Island?

No comments: